[fc-discuss] Financial Cryptography Update: SHA1 attack updated at Crypto, US responds by stifling research

iang@iang.org iang@iang.org
Wed, 17 Aug 2005 14:16:04 +0100 (BST)

 Financial Cryptography Update: SHA1 attack updated at Crypto, US responds by stifling research

                            August 17, 2005

https://www.financialcryptography.com/mt/archives/000533.html

At this year's Crypto conference, a 2^63 collisions attack on SHA1 was
announced by Wang, but not delivered by her personally because the US
State Department would not issue her a Visa.  (According to
participants, Adi Shamir humourously pointed out it was because she had
admitted to attacking US systems with her collisions attack).

http://nytimes.com/2005/08/17/business/worldbusiness/17code.html

This is far superior to the suggestion from last year's conference,
which destroyed all smaller hashes except SHA1 and suggested a 2^69
attack.  That was 11 bits off the brute force searching limit of 2^80,
and still was not really doable.  Taking it to 17 bits and down to 2^63
puts it in reach of Internet attacks as we've already seen similar
efforts (64 bit ciphers have been crunched on the net).

https://www.financialcryptography.com/mt/archives/000355.html

Note that this is on _collisions_ between two random hashes, and most
systems do not rely on this property.  Rather, most systems rely on not
being able to find another document from a given hash, or seeing
through to the document from a given hash.

The strength of that normal usage is 2^160, the full length of brute
forcing the entire hash space.	Simplistically, if that space lost 2*17
bits, SHA1 would still be as strong as 2^126, which is well secure from
crunching.

But it does mean that SHA1 is no longer Pareto-complete - no longer
secure regardless of the circumstances.  Crypto Engineers will have to
check to make sure they are not relying on collision resistance between
random hashes.

https://www.financialcryptography.com/mt/archives/000374.html

(I'll update this as more info comes to hand, check the blog.  Here's a
snippet:)

>>"Perry E. Metzger" writes:
>>...I was unable to watch webcast of the rump session at the Crypto
>>conference last night, but I have heard that a proxy announced that
>>Wang has an order 2^63 attack on SHA-1. Can anyone confirm that, and
>>give details?

Shamir gave her rump session talk (and first gave a humorous
presentation on why she couldn't get a visa -- she admitted to
attacking U.S. government systems, and used collisions).  She is indeed

claiming a 2^63 attack, and found a new path to use in the attack.
Because of the new path, there is reason to think the attack will get
even better.  Shamir noted that 2^63 is within reach of a distributed
Internet effort to actually find one.