[fc-discuss] Financial Cryptography Update: Notes on security defences

iang@iang.org iang@iang.org
Sat, 20 Aug 2005 12:50:24 +0100 (BST)

((((((( Financial Cryptography Update: Notes on security defences )))))))

                            August 20, 2005

https://www.financialcryptography.com/mt/archives/000536.html

Adam points to a great idea by EFF and Tor:

http://tor.eff.org/gui/
http://www.emergentchaos.com/archives/001607.html

==========
    Tor is a decentralized network of computers on the Internet that
increases privacy in Web browsing, instant messaging, and other
applications. We estimate there are some 50,000 Tor users currently,
routing their traffic through about 250 volunteer Tor servers on five
continents. However, Tor's current user interface approach — running as
a service in the background — does a poor job of communicating network
status and security levels to the user.

    The Tor project, affiliated with the Electronic Frontier
Foundation, is running a UI contest to develop a vision of how Tor can
work in a user's everyday anonymous browsing experience. Some of the
challenges include how to make alerts and error conditions visible on
screen; how to let the user configure Tor to use or avoid certain
routes or nodes; how to learn about the current state of a Tor
connection, including which servers it uses; and how to find out
whether (and which) applications are using Tor safely.
==========

This is a great idea!

User interfaces is one of our biggest challenges in security, alongside
the the challenge of shifting mental models from no-risk cryptography
across to opportunistic cryptography.  We've all seen how incomplete
UIs can drain a project's lifeblood, and we all should know by now just
how expensive it is to create a nice one.  I wish them well.  Of the
judges, Adam was part of the Freedom project which was a commercial
forerunner for Tor (I guess) and is a long time privacy / security
hacker.  Ping runs Usable Security - the nexus between UIs and secure
coding.  (The others I do not know.)

In other good stuff, Brad Templeton was spotted by FM carrying on the
good fight against the evils of no-risk cryptography.  Unfortunately
there is no blog to point at but the debate echoes what was posted here
on Skype many moons back.

https://www.financialcryptography.com/mt/archives/000297.html
http://www.interesting-people.org/archives/interesting-people/200508/ms
g00156.html
http://www.interesting-people.org/archives/interesting-people/200508/ms
g00178.html
http://www.interesting-people.org/archives/interesting-people/200508/ms
g00246.html

The mistakes that the defender, SS, makes are routine.	1. confused
threat models in the normal fashion:  because we can identify one
person on the planet who needs ultimate, top notch security, then we
can assert that all people need this.  (c.f., airbags and human rights
workers.  Pah.)  2, confused user needs model, again normal.  The needs
of a corporation to sell to fee-paying clients is completely disjoint
from the needs of the Internet user.  The absence of concern for the
Internet's security at systemic levels in place of the need to sell
product is the mess we have to clean up today.	E.g., "There is an
abundance of encryption in use today where it's needed." should be read
as "Cryptography should be everywhere where we can sell it, and is
dangerous elsewhere."	3.  Ye Olde Mythe of _security-by-obscurity
results in a false sense of security_.	In practice, security-by-sales
has led to a much greater and thus falser false sense of security, and
is part and parcel of the massive security mess we face now.  4.
because opportunistic cryptography so challenges the world view of old
timers and commercial security providers, they have a lot of trouble
being scientific about it and often feel they are being attacked
personally.  This means they are unable to contribute to the debate
about phishing, malware and the like, as they are still blocked on
selling the very model that brought about these ills.  Every time they
get close to discovering how these frauds come about, they have to
reject the logic that points at the solution as the problem.

Breaking through this barrier, getting people to think scientifically
and use cryptography to benefit has proven to be the hardest thing!
But the meme might be starting to take hold.  Scanning Ping's blog, it
seems he has been pushing the idea of a competition for some time:

http://usablesecurity.com/2005/08/06/in-search-of-evaluation/#more-48

======
" The best I’ve been able to come up with so far is this:
Hold yearly competitive user studies in which teams compete to design
secure user interfaces and develop attacks against other teams’ user
interfaces.  Evaluate the submissions by testing on a large group of
users. "
======

And this logic is in direct response to the discord between what users
will use and what security practitioners will secure.  (And, note that
Brad Templeton, Jedi noted above, is apparently the chair of the EFF
running this competition.)

Ping asks is there any other way?  Yes, I believe so.  If you are mild
of heart, or are not firmly relaxed, stop reading now.

<ContoversyAlert>

The ideal security solution is built with no security at all.  Only
later, after the model has been proven as actually sustainable in an
economic fashion, should security be added.

And then, only slowly, and only in ways that attempt not to change or
limit the user's ability.  The only reason to take away usability from
the users is if the system is performing so badly it is in danger of
collapse.

</ControversyAlert>

This model is at the core of the successful security systems we
generally talk about.  Credit cards worked this way, adding security
hacks little by little as fraud rates rise.  Indeed, the times
something really truly secure was added, it either flopped (smart cards
were rejected) or backfired (SSL led to phishing).

To switch sides and maintain the same point :-) just-in-time
cryptography is how the web was secured!  First HTTP was designed, and
then a bandaid was added.  (Well, actually TLS is more of a plaster
cast where a bandaid should have been used, but the point remains
valid, and bidirectional.)

Same with SSH - first Telnet proved the model, then it was replaced by
SSH.  PGP came later than email and secured it after email was proven.
WEP is adequate for wireless in strength but is too hard to turn on so
it has failed to impress.  Why it is too hard to turn on is because it
was built too securely, perversely.

Digital cash never succeeded - and I suggest it is in part because it
was designed to be secure from the ground up.  In contrast look at
Paypal and the gold currencies.  Basically, they are account money with
that SSL-coloured plaster cast slapped on.  (They succeeded, and note
that the gold currencies were also the first to treat and defeat
phishing on a mass scale.)

So, over to you!  We already know this is an outrageous claim.	The
question is why is JIT crypto so close to reality?  How real is it?
Why is it that everything we've practiced as a discipline has failed,
or only worked by accident?