[fc-discuss] Financial Cryptography Update: Microsoft to release 'Phishing Filter'

iang@iang.org iang@iang.org
Sun, 28 Aug 2005 12:55:18 +0100 (BST)

( Financial Cryptography Update: Microsoft to release 'Phishing Filter' )

                            August 28, 2005

https://www.financialcryptography.com/mt/archives/000540.html

It looks like Microsoft are about to release on anti-phishing:

http://www.menafn.com/qn_news_story.asp?storyid=cqw6tweicq1bulvbisvnisu
5h

===========
WASHINGTON _ Microsoft Corp. will soon release a security tool for its
Internet browser that privacy advocates say could allow the company to
track the surfing habits of computer users. Microsoft officials say the
company has no intention of doing so.

The new feature, which Microsoft will make available as a free download
within the next few weeks, is prompting some controversy, as it will
inform the company of Web sites that users are visiting.

The browser tool is being called a "Phishing Filter." It is designed to
warn computer users about "phishing," an online identity theft scam.
The Federal Trade Commission estimates that about 10 million Americans
were victims of identity theft in 2005, costing the economy $52.6
billion dollars.
============

What follows in that article is lots of criticsm.  I actually agree
with that criticism but in the wider picture, it is more important for
Microsoft to weigh into the fight than to get it right.  We have a
crying need to focus the problem on what it is - the failure of
security tools and the security infrastructure that Microsoft and other
companies (RSADSI, VeriSign, CAs, Mozilla, Opera...) are peddling.

Microsoft by dint of the fact that they are the only large player
taking phishing seriously are now the leaders in security thinking.
They need to win some I guess.

(Meanwhile, I've reinstated the security top tips on the blog, by
popular demand.  These tips are designed for ordinary users.  They are
so brief that even ordinary users should be able to comprehend -
without needing further reference.  And, they are as comprehensive as I
can get them.  Try them on your mother and let me know...)