[fc-discuss] Financial Cryptography Update: Virus-safe Computing - HP Labs article

iang@iang.org iang@iang.org
Fri, 10 Jun 2005 13:02:20 +0100 (BST)

( Financial Cryptography Update: Virus-safe Computing - HP Labs article )

                             June 10, 2005

https://www.financialcryptography.com/mt/archives/000495.html

Mark Miller reports on a nice easy article from HP Labs.  A must read!

   Check out the current cover story on the HP Labs web page!
   <http://www.hpl.hp.com/>

   (For archival purposes, I also include here a direct link to
   <http://www.hpl.hp.com/news/2005/apr-jun/virussafe.html>.)

Research on how to do safe operating systems is concentrated in the
_capabilities_ field, and this article worth reading to get the
flavour.  The big challenge is to how to get capabilities thought into
the mainstream product area, and the way the team has chosen to
concentrate on securing Microsoft Windows programs has to be admired
for the chutzpah!

Allegedlly, they've done it, at least in lab conditions.  Can they take
the capabilities and POLA approach and put it into the production
world?	I don't know but the research is right up there at the top of
the 'watch' list.