[fc-discuss] Financial Cryptography Update: Amazon starts a Task Market

iang@iang.org iang@iang.org
Sun, 13 Nov 2005 15:50:47 +0000 (GMT)

(((((( Financial Cryptography Update: Amazon starts a Task Market ))))))

                           November 13, 2005

https://www.financialcryptography.com/mt/archives/000596.html

Amazon have started what looks like a task market with an unusual name
- the Amazon Mechanical Turk.  Pointed to by C Walsh.

http://mturk.amazon.com/
http://www.amazon.com/gp/browse.html/ref=sc_fe_c_1_3435361_1/103-218754
2-7155800?%5Fencoding=UTF8&node=15879911&no=3435361&me=A36L942TSJ2AJA
http://www.emergentchaos.com/archives/001934.html

This could be successful for its two cool features: the cool name and
the incorporation of webservices.  The core idea itself has been around
for yonks and even well before I presented on task markets at FC97.

http://iang.org/papers/task_market.html

What is curious is that instead of going for the geek in everyone,
they've actually listed very small low value tasks.  They truely are
targetting the brains of the net, not the geeks.  Here's such a task:

You are presented with the name and address of a business as well as a
set of photos taken along the street where the business is supposed to
be located. Your task is to identify the best photo of the business
that is listed.

For that task you will be paid 3 cents into your Amazon account!