[fc-discuss] Financial Cryptography Update: Schelling points

iang@iang.org iang@iang.org
Tue, 11 Oct 2005 02:07:26 +0100 (BST)

(((((((((((( Financial Cryptography Update: Schelling points ))))))))))))

                            October 10, 2005

https://www.financialcryptography.com/mt/archives/000565.html

Thomas Schelling and Robert Aumann won this year's Nobel Prize in
Economics for "having enhanced our understanding of conflict and
cooperation through game-theory analysis."

See Adam's blog for an explanation of Schelling points, which I was to
learn as a daily strategy in Spain.  There, when meeting for some
social event, various factors made all plans unreliable and
sophisticated strategies based on shared knowledge were required just
to meet up and have a beer.  For example, on finding one bar shut, a
thirsty traveller would spiral outwards from that bar to the nearest,
and then to the next until the crowd had been found.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomas_Schelling
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Aumann
http://www.emergentchaos.com/archives/001802.html

Their work goes well beyond such triflings and one day I might find
time to understand even a little of it.

While on economics, Jean sends news that Jimmy Tseng is looking for a
PhD candidate to work on the economic aspects of privacy. It is a fully
funded position for 4 years in the Netherlands.

https://www.linkedin.com/jobs?viewJob=&jobId=29253&fromSearch=0&sik=112
8649996540
http://www.rsm.nl/pls/portal/xopus_public.download_document?p_guid=F03A
F11B00E6F667E03018AC1B010914

Given political news from the lowlands, the Dutch are hell-bent on
tarnishing their reputation on privacy, so well done, Jimmy and Jean.